The WWE Divas Championship was a womens exclusive championship in WWE.
With the first WWE Brand Extension, a storyline division in which WWE assigned its employees to different television programs and touring companies, in 2002, the WWE Womens Championship was originally to be defended on both brands. At some point that year, however, it became exclusive to the Raw brand. Thereafter, only Divas on the Raw brand were able to compete for the title, while the Divas on the SmackDown brand were unable to compete for a women's-exclusive championship. However, on a few occasions the regulation was bypassed with Melina, Ashley, Torrie Wilson and Nidia challenging for the title while on the SmackDown! brand, but none were successful.
As a result, WWE created the WWE Divas Championship and introduced it on the June 6, 2008 episode of SmackDown when then SmackDown General Manager Vickie Guerrero announced the creation of the title. The championship belt was officially unveiled on the July 4, 2008 episode of SmackDown. After winning respective matches to earn the opportunity to wrestle for the new championship, Michelle McCool defeated Natalya at The Great American Bash to become the inaugural champion. When Maryse won the title from McCool in December 2008, she dislocated her kneecap at a live event later that month. Similar to how Trish Stratus kept the Women's Championship when she was sidelined with a herniated disc in 2005, Maryse was able to keep the Divas Title upon her return in late January 2009. As part of the 2009 WWE Draft, then-Divas Champion Maryse was one of the people drafted to the Raw brand, in the process making the championship exclusive to Raw.
It was announced on the August 30, 2010 episode of Raw that the Divas Championship would be unified with the Women's Championship at a match at Night of Champions. And with that, the title (known briefly as the WWE Unified Divas Championship) became accessible to both WWE brands and the champion could appear on both shows, a situation made permanent by the ending of the Brand Extension in 2011.
- Michelle McCool - July 20, 2008 - The Great American Bash
- Maryse - December 26, 2008 - SmackDown
- Mickie James - July 26, 2009 - Night of Champions
- Jillian Hall - October 12, 2009 - Raw
- Melina - October 12, 2009 - Raw
Vacated — January 4, 2010
- Maryse (2) - February 22, 2010 - Raw
- Eve Torres - April 12, 2010 - Raw
- Alicia Fox - June 20, 2010 - Fatal 4-Way
- Melina (2) - August 15, 2010 - SummerSlam
- Michelle McCool (2) - September 19, 2010 - Night of Champions
Unified with the WWE Womens Championship
- Natalya - November 21, 2010 - Survivor Series
- Eve Torres (2) - January 30, 2011 - Royal Rumble
- Brie Bella - April 11, 2011 - Raw
- Kelly Kelly - June 20, 2011 - Raw
- Beth Phoenix - October 2, 2011 - Hell in a Cell
- Nikki Bella - April 23, 2012 - Raw
- Layla - April 29, 2012 - Extreme Rules
- Eve Torres - (3) September 16, 2012 - Night of Champions
- Kaitlyn - January 14, 2013 - Raw 20th Anniversary Special
- AJ Lee - June 16, 2013 - Payback
- Paige - April 7, 2014 - Raw
- AJ Lee (2) - June 30, 2014 - Raw
- Paige (2) - August 17, 2014 - SummerSlam
- AJ Lee (3) - September 21, 2014 - Night of Champions
- Nikki Bella (2) - November 23, 2014 - Survivor Series
- Charlotte - November 20 2015 - Night of Champions