WWE utilizes a farm system that allows inexperienced wrestlers to develop their skills and gain in ring experience in smaller, often regional, promotions before they are called up to compete in front of a global/national audience. The following is a list of WWE Development Territories.
- Heartland Wrestling Association - late 1990s:
- International Wrestling Association - 1999–2001
- Memphis Championship Wrestling - 2000–2001
- Ohio Valley Wrestling - 2000–2008
- Deep South Wrestling - 2005–2007)
- Florida Championship Wrestling - 2008-2012
- WWE NXT Wrestling 2012–present
In addition, smaller companies such as Ring of Honor, Combat Zone Wrestling, Chikara or the now-defunct Extreme Championship Wrestling can act as unofficial feeder leagues, seasoning wrestlers until a larger company offers them a contract.