The Universal Wrestling Federation (UWF) was an American wrestling promotion based out of Marina del Rey, California.
Herb Abrams founded the UWF in 1990 with hopes of returning professional wrestling back to its roots. He signed top stars such as Paul Orndorff, Steve Williams, Bam Bam Bigelow, Don Muraco, Bob Orton, Jr., [[[Brian Blair]], Danny Spivey, Billy Jack Haynes, Ken Patera, Colonel DeBeers, David Sammartino, Ivan Koloff, Bob Backlund, and Cactus Jack.
He trademarked the UWF name in June 1991 because Bill Watts never bothered to trademark his version of the Universal Wrestling Federation that was sold to Jim Crockett Promotions in 1987. Abrams was head booker of the company from 1990 to 1992. Zoogz Rift, a cult musician and manager in the UWF, took over as head booker in 1993. Zoogz Rift accompanied Abrams on several international business trips in 1993, where they managed to secure home video deals for the company. He quit in March 1994, leaving Abrams to book the September 1994 Blackjack Brawl card. In late 1995, Rift rejoined the company as vice president, helping to secure new television deals with both SportsChannel America and Prime Network. Abrams' death in July 1996, however, marked the end of the company. Blackjack Brawl would stand as the final UWF show.
The UWF tape library is currently owned by former wrestler Al Burke. In recent years, he has partnered with Todd Okerlund of Classic Wrestling to repackage and license the library through DirecTV and ESPN Classic Canada.
- UWF Americas Championship (1994)
- UWF Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship (1993)
- UWF Israeli Championship (1991)
- UWF Junior Heavyweight Championship (1994)
- UWF MGM Grand Championship (1994)
- UWF Midget World Championship (1994)
- UWF North American Championship (1991)
- UWF Southern States Championship (1992, 1994)
- UWF SportsChannel Television Championship (1991-1992)
- UWF Women's World Championship (1991, 1994)
- UWF World Heavyweight Championship (1994)
- UWF World Tag Team Championship (1994)